Instant Download with all chapters and Answers
*you will get solution manuals in PDF in best viewable format after buy*
CHAPTER 2: DEPENDENT CLAUSES
Exercise 1a (Answers will vary.)
1. Wherever Henrietta goes, her Cocker Spaniel goes.
2. Whenever I hear my favorite song, I smile and think about Pat.
3. Although everyone else panicked, I remained calm.
4. As soon as class is over, we are going out for lunch.
5. While we were on vacation, our apartment flooded.
1. Sales dramatically increased after the deli lowered its prices.
2. I’ll do the dishes if you’ll cook.
3. We went to the library because we needed a quiet place to study.
4. The committee will meet as soon as they gather the research.
5. The pond will not freeze unless the temperature dips below zero.
Exercise 3a (Answers will vary.)
1. When her children baked her a surprise birthday cake, Juanita smiled.
2. When I get a good night=s sleep, I have more energy.
3. Because Charlie studied, he did well on his exams.
4. Because the expressway was closed, trucks were detoured through town.
5. If I have time after work, I=ll get the car washed and the oil changed.
Weather is a critical factor in determining a runner=s success. Temperatures in the upper forties
and lower fifties provide optimum conditions for marathon runners. If it=s too warm, a runner can
overheat and develop heat exhaustion. If it is too cold, hypothermia and frostbite can set in.
Because marathon organizers want the most ideal running temperatures, they schedule many of
the large marathons in spring and fall.
1. a. While students were typing in the computer lab, the electricity went out.
b. The electricity went out while students were typing in the computer lab.
2. a. Because he is shy and reserved, he shuns the spotlight.
b. He shuns the spotlight because he is shy and reserved.
3. a. Unless they arrive early, they will not get a seat in the auditorium.
b. They will not get a seat in the auditorium unless they arrive early.
4. a. Before I scheduled the interview, I researched the company on the Internet.
b. I researched the company on the Internet before I scheduled the interview.
5. a. As the heavy rains continued, the muddy river climbed to the top of its banks.
b. The muddy river climbed to the top of its banks as the heavy rains continued.
Exercise 2b (Answers will vary.)
1. a. After we finished dinner, we took a long walk.
b. When we finished dinner, we took a long walk.
c. As soon as we finished dinner, we took a long walk.
2. a. While the road was closed for repairs, the businesses in the area lost customers.
b. Since the road was closed for repairs, the businesses in the area lost customers.
c. Whenever the road was closed for repairs, the businesses in the area lost customers.
3. a. As soon as Henry realized that he would be late, he called home.
b. Before Henry realized that he would be late, he called home.
c. Even though Henry realized that he would be late, he called home.
4. a. After the sun goes down, the fireworks begin.
b. As the sun goes down, the fireworks begin.
c. When the sun goes down, the fireworks begin.
5. a. Because the college hired a new food manager, the cafeteria food improved.
b. Before the college hired a new food manager, the cafeteria food improved.
c. As soon as the college hired a new food manager, the cafeteria food improved.
Exercise 3b (Answers may vary.)
Money can=t buy happiness. Although I know that now, I didn’t know it when I was
younger. I grew up in a family that did not have much money. We bought used cars, used
furniture, and often secondhand clothes. Because other people with money looked happy, I
thought money was the road to happiness. In high school, I was only attracted to guys who had
money. They bought me gifts and took me to expensive places, but I wasn’t happy. When I
graduated from high school and met Brian, my life began to change. Even though Brian did not
have much money, he made me happy. Instead of buying me gifts, he gave me his love and
attention. Instead of going to expensive restaurants, we had picnics in the park. We are still
dating, and our relationship continues to grow. I know now that happiness does not have a price