Instant Download with all chapters and Answers
*you will get test bank in PDF in best viewable format after buy*
Chapter 2 Secured Test Items
1. Research design refers to
a) Prior research related to your problem
b) The statistical procedures used to analyze the data
c) The plan and/or structure of the research
d) The intent of the researcher
2. Which of the following terms best describes a QUANTITATIVE mode of inquiry?
c) Grounded theory
3. Which of the following terms best describes a QUALITATIVE mode of inquiry?
4. Which of the following terms best describes a TRUE EXPERIMENTAL mode of inquiry?
a) Random assignment
b) Ex post facto
5. Which of the following terms best describes a NONEXPERIMENTAL mode of inquiry?
c) Case study
6. Which of the following terms best characterizes single-subject modes of inquiry?
a) Descriptive designs
b) Comparative designs
c) Randomly assigned subjects
d) Methods used with a single individual
7. All of the following are nonexperimental modes of inquiry EXCEPT
c) Phenomenological study
8. Ex post facto refers to a mode of inquiry
a) Used to explore possible causal relationships among variables
b) Concerned with assessing relationships between two or more phenomena
c) Using face-to-face data collection to construct in-depth understandings of informants’ perspectives
d) Investigating causation without random assignment and complete control
9. Which of the following characteristics differentiates experimental designs from nonexperimental designs?
a) There is manipulation (and control) of the independent variable
b) The use of surveys
c) The use of statistical procedures and analyses
d) The researcher is a participant observer
10. The purpose of research using nonexperimental research designs is to
a) Establish the basis for qualitative studies
b) Suggest additional research
c) Characterize existing behaviors or conditions
d) Describe cause-effect relationships
11. Which of the following terms best describes noninteractive inquiry?
b) Historical analysis
c) Grounded theory
d) Experimental design
12. Which of the following statements best describes phenomenology?
a) A philosophy of science to describe the meaning of a lived experience
b) A description and interpretation of a cultural or social group or system
c) A focus on learned patterns of actions, language, beliefs, rituals, and way of life
d) An examination of a “bounded system”
13. All of the following terms describe noninteractive inquiry EXCEPT
a) Analytical research
b) Concept analysis
c) Grounded theory
d) Historical analysis
14. Which of the following data collection techniques are NOT used in QUALITATIVE research?
c) Paper-and-pencil tests
15. Which of the following characteristics best describes QUANTITATIVE research?
a) Data appear as numbers
b) In-depth interviews
c) Multiple data collection strategies
d) Interactive relationships between researcher and subject
16. Which of the following strategies is most clearly identified with QUALITATIVE data collection?
a) Generate data collection strategies during the research.
b) Manipulate the setting within which the research occurs.
c) Include random selection or random assignment of subjects.
d) Use paper-and-pencil tests.
17. Which of the following strategies is most clearly identified with QUANTITATIVE data collection?
a) Field notes
b) Narrative data
c) A review of historical documents
d) The use of a structured questionnaire
18. Which of the following research designs best categorizes a case study?
19. Which of the following best describes the purpose of a research report?
a) To indicate clearly what the researcher has done
b) To create a framework within which the research becomes meaningful
c) To explain the reason(s) for the research
d) All of the above
20. Which of the following reflects the most reasonable order of the four “parts” of a QUALITATIVE research
a) Introduction, Conclusion, Methodology, and Review of the Literature
b) Introduction, Review of the Literature, Findings, and Conclusion
c) Review of the Literature, Hypothesis, Methodology, and Conclusion
d) Introduction, Methodology, Findings, and Conclusions
21. The purpose of the methodology section of a quantitative or qualitative study is to
a) Provide the background for the study
b) Summarize the research design
c) Identify the problem
d) Review the literature
22. Which of the following problem statement formats is LEAST likely to be found in a QUALITATIVE research
b) A question related to an issue of concern to the researcher
c) Foreshadowed problem
d) Reformulated problem
23. Which of the following terms describes “a clear and succinct statement that indicates the purpose of the study”?
b) Research problem
24. Which of the following does NOT appropriately describe the review of the literature in a QUANTITATIVE
a) Provides criticism of the reviewed research
b) Reports the current status of the knowledge of the problem
c) Provides a theoretical and/or empirical rationale for the research problem
d) Discusses each and every reference separately
25. Which of the following describes the review of the literature in QUALITATIVE research?
a) Conducted only during the data collection and analysis
b) Conducted prior to collecting data
c) Continuing process because the research problem becomes more focused throughout the research
d) Simply limited to a preliminary search when the project is planned
26. Which of the following best describes the actual manner in which the literature review is written in a
QUALITATIVE research report?
a) Each source reviewed is presented as a separate discussion.
b) Literature reviews are never undertaken in qualitative research, so it is not reported.
c) It is integrated into the narrative of the study.
d) It reports only the preliminary search results.